Friday, March 16, 2012

Feature & Follow: Football and Morticians


"What is the best book you've read in the last month? What's the worst?

Even after such a long absence of reviewing lately, I actually have been reading. In fact I have (5) books that need to be reviewed. In the last month I read my favorite books have been more along the lines of design and typography related stuff, but I'll include a fiction book too. I started reading Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally...and I actually like it! Remember D.J. Diary Queen being the only girl on the football team? Well Jordan is the school's quarterback and "one of the guys". When another quarterback from Texas tries out for the team  AND a potential boyfriend material, Jordan starts feeling pulled all different ways. I totally thought I'd disliked this book but I don't! Yeah sure being around football players will make you just as loud-mouthed and crude as a guy but I really dig Jordan's personality. Also, having some sort of "insight" on what goes on in a football team can be a big draw as well. Never realized how bad football players fall for the cheerleaders...its definitely one stereotype that cannot be challenged.


Graphic: Inside the Sketchbooks of the World's Greatest Graphic Designers by Steven Heller is a great look-book for those interested in design and illustration. I borrowed it via IIL at my university library!


A book I didn't like...hmmm. Probably Putting Makeup on Dead People by Jen Violi. It started out as a nice story. Liked the writing style, it was very thoughtful. Then it turned weird. There were waaay too many types of religions going on to make any connect with dying really. I wish it just focused on the character wanting to be a mortician. Hardly any research on what is actually the duty of a mortician was outputted in the book (besides the obvious "putting makeup on dead people"). Want to really know what goes on while dealing with death? Read Alane Furgson's forensic mysteries! Way better.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I didn't like PUTTING MAKEUP ON DEAD PEOPLE either. It was just ... weird. I'll have to try the forensic mysteries you mentioned. They do sound way better!

Related Posts with Thumbnails