Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cover Stories (8): US vs. UK

Nancy and Sovay Around the World
Okay, so for Pirates! we have three covers: the US paperback (hardcover's the same), the paperback UK edition, and the UK hardcover. The girls on the paperback editions feature Nancy while the hardcover edition is clearly Mirreva–which one catches your eye better?
US Paperback/Hardcover    UK Paperback
Nancy Kington, a wealthy merchant's daughter living in Bristol, England in the early 1700's, is sometimes lonely but enjoys the privileges her father's business brings. Minerva Sharpe is a penniless slave's daughter living and working on the Kington's Jamaican plantation. These two young women, united through a set of extraordinary circumstances including a brutal murder, an arranged marriage, and set of ruby earrings, find themselves sailing the high seas in search of love, adventure and freedom—as pirates! Read my review [here].

I think I'm rather partial to the US edition mainly because it doesn't reveal too much of the character. Plus, I think it's neat they included the red earrings (which have to do with the entire story) in the photograph. 
As for Sovay, we have 5 covers.
US Hardcover/Paperback    UK Hardcover
German Edition?                UK Paperback
The Ballad of Sovay - French Edition?

The year is 1794 and it seems the world is yearning for revolution, even the British. For Sovay Middleton, life as the daughter of a kind, wise landlord is not very adventurous at all. When her father and brother’s lives are threatened by the scent of uprising against the King, Sovay is suddenly thrown into a thrilling ride of a lifetime. From posing as a highwayman, dodging a spymaster’s evil and intricate schemes, to facing the sideways traps of the French Revolution, Sovay will do whatever it takes to find her father and bring justice to light.  From the author of Witch Child and Pirates! comes the epic story of one heroine’s quest for freedom and love amidst a fierce battle between revolution and power. Read my review [here].

The French Edition (at least I think it is–correct me if I'm wrong) is kind of fun don't you think? The UK editions with Sovay wearing a hat is neat as well. I can't really say which one I like the best because I didn't really enjoy the idea of the characters full face on the cover. What about you?

1 comment:

Susan said...

I've never heard of this series. I think I need to check it out ASAP. All of the covers are pretty - well, except the French one :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails