Thursday, December 10, 2009

Movie Period Drama Challenge 2010

I so wish I knew about this challenge earlier! Lately I've been watching a lot of period drama--mostly Jane Austen based stuff so I'm kinda of excited that I discovered Lights, Camera, History! I'm starting my very first movie challenge and I will also list the period drama I watched in 2009. I'm aiming for Level 4 (Clearly Addicted) which is 8 movies and I guess I'll do the "Through the Centuries" theme. I'll list the other time period movies as well and just see how many I watched over the year (yikes). Here it goes.......
(the header is old, they haven't updated it yet)


Themes: Kings & Queens (plots about royalty), Through the Centuries (1 movie/century), Wars & Revolutions (plots set during wars), Bonnets & Hessians (Regency era), Victorian Mist (Victoria era), Maids & Knights (Middle Ages), All Over the World (1 movie/country).


Through the Centuries Challenge - 8 Movies
1. Jane Austen's Persuasion--2007--movie--Bonnests & Hessians: This is probably my least favorite Austen film. I think it was rather depressing and not very fun to watch. Whew. I've finally covered all the Austen films! (Rating: 2/5)
2. Rebecca--1997--TV movie--1920s--Drab. It was based on a good book, but hardly anything happened in the movie at all!! (3/5)
3. Without a Clue--1988--TV movie--Victorian Mist--Loosely based on Sir Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, this movie is a comedy starring Michael Caine who is hired to be the "face" of Sherlock Holmes. I had a good time watching this movie! (5/5)
4. Warrior Queen--2003--Maids & Knights--Pretty graphic: battle scenes, rape, and sensuality, but other than that it was a chunk of history I've never heard of before. The ending was weird though. (4/5) 
5. Island at War--2003--TV miniseries--The first two discs were great. The plot was good and the setting was unique but don't get the last disc. It was terrible. There were about four explicit sexual scenes in one of the episodes. And then it just ended. Whaaat? (3/5)
6.
7.
8.


Other Watched Period Dramas in 2010
Coming Soon!
Period Dramas Watched in 2009
Shackleton (2002)--TV movies series--Victorian Mist: This 2-disc series was b-o-r-i-n-g. I don't even think we made to the 2nd disc before sending it back to Netflix. I think getting stranded in Antarctica is interesting, but the events leading up to Shackleton's voyage was dreary.


Road to Avonlea (Season 6)--(1995)--series--Victoria Mist: I loved this series! It took me at least two years or more to finish it and I was so sad when it ended. If they made more TV series like this (great for the whole family), the world would be a much better place.......(Rating: 5/5)


Ever After--1998--movie--Maids & Knights: I think I've watched this movie at least three times. Even though it's based on the tale of Cinderella, it's really the story of how it really could have happened historically wise. My favorite part is when Leonardo de Vinci shows up with his Mona Lisa and a pair of wings. (Rating: 5/5)


Pride and Prejudice--2005--movie--Bonnets & Hessians: After seeing this movie for the 2nd time, me and my sister will randomly say, "Mr. Bingsley" and fall in a fit of giggles. In February (the same time we watched this) we went to a Regency Ball Valentine's dance and learned some the period dances! (Rating: 5/5)


Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day--2008--movie--1920s: Ugh, I do not like Amy Adams. In all of the movies I've seen with her as the lead, she acts like a total ditz. I would not let children under the age of 12 watch this either, too many sexual references and some scenes. Terrible movie.....(Rating 2/5)


Australia--2009--movie--1940s: It was interesting to learn something about Australian ranches again (remember the the Snow River series and The Rabbit Proof Fence?). I'm not sure really what to say except great cinematography and oh, yeah, Hugh Jackman. (Rating: 3/5)


Lost in Austen--2008--TV movie series--Bonnie & Hessians: I watched this for about 20 minuets before I click off the TV. I'm mean kissing Mr. Bingsley right off the bat?! Jeez. I think someone's been fantasizing about Mr. Darcy way too much.....


Little Women--1994--movie--1800s: A must see, timeless classic. (Rating:4/5)


Canford--2007--series--Bonnets & Hessians: Hey Mr. Bingsley's back, but this time he's starring as Cranford's new (cough) unmarried doctor....drama is sure to follow! (Rating: 4/5)


Love Takes Wing--2008--movie--Western 1800s era: The fifth ? installment in the Love Comes Softly movie series, this one is about Missy's adopted daughter Belinda whose has recently lost her husband. Take about tragedy with this movie series, I think every women has had two husbands! Oh, well it's still a good family movie. (Rating:4/5)


Robing Hood Season 1--2006--series--Maids & Knights: Discovered this series in 2006 and watched the following season the next year. I have been dying to see season 3 but I don't think it'll ever come to the US? (Rating: 5/5)


Sense & Sensibility--1995--movie--Bonnets & Hessians: If anybody's wondering (according to the Jane Austen character quiz) am I Marianne Dashwood! (Rating: 4/5)


The Importance of Being Ernest--2002--movie--Victorian Mist: Even though the style of language was hard to understand, it was quite a comedic and enjoyable story. (Rating: 4/5)


Jane Eyre--2006--TV movie series--Bonnets & Hessians: I read a "simple" version of Jane Eyre when I was nine or ten and have loved the story ever since. The movie is a bit darker than I remember, but it was still a good movie. (Rating: 4/5)


Northanger Abbey--2007--movie--Bonnets & Hessians: A much more "darker" Jane Austen novel with a eerie ring to it. Though it still had a happy ending, I don't think I liked it as much as the other movies.
(Rating: 3/5)

Photobucket

2 comments:

Madeline said...

I love period Drama! I've seen most of the ones you've mentioned and agree with your reveiw on them. I would recommend the 1995 version of Pride and Prejeudice I have to say I liked it better then the '05 version.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who has seen the Robin Hood series and didn't think they were corny...they were awesome!

Anonymous said...

I love period dramas, but I'm a teenage boy. Is that a bit weird? I don't think even my family or friends know. I think it is my favourite genre?! You have to watch 'the duchess', starring Kiera Knightley. I loved it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails