Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday Spotlight: Catherine Murdock


Sunday Spotlight is a new feature on BLT that puts authors or books I've recently read in the spotlight. This week we have a short word from Catherine Gilbert Murdock. After reading her book, Dairy Queen (see here), I wondered why she choose to write about a dairy farm. This is what she had to say:

******

"I knew from the get-go that I needed to frame the story around two teenage enemies who become friends, then more than friends. The best way I could think of to accomplish this was by forcing them to work long days together until they learn to see each other beyond the labels. Farm work -- particularly dairy farming -- seemed an ideal mechanism for this. Also, I knew a bit about dairy farming given than my mother had grown up on a dairy farm. And I love cows. And I've hayed, which is SO HARD -- that description of haying's discomfort and itchiness came straight from my heart!"

Thanks Ms. Murdock for your time! Here are the rest of Murdock's books. Be sure to check them out your library today! For more fun (book covers, playlists, etc.) with Dairy Queen, visit catherinemurdock.com:




Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails