Thursday, October 1, 2009

Fever Season by Eric Zweig

After the Great War and Canada’s violet Spanish flu epidemic, 14-year-old David Staifer is left an orphan. As he recounts his life, David discovers a way to find his long lost uncle: hockey. The only way to get to Seattle is to take job with Montreal’s National Hockey League; but with the fever still at large on the West Coast, can David survive long enough to find his Uncle? Will his beloved team survive the hockey tournament as well?


******


Fever Season was a nice peek into the past of hockey and what life was like during World War I. At first the story was kinda slow, especially when David talked about his childhood; only when he joined the hockey team as a sort of “janitor” boy, did things start to pick up. The reason I picked up Fever Season was because it was set on Canada. I don’t know anything about Canadian history (I didn’t even know about the fever), so I thought this book would help. Even though it was probably a bit too juvenile for me, I still enjoyed learning about 20th century Canada and what orphans had to go through during those times. With it’s lightness and “memoir” like style, I would definitely recommend to any hockey fan or history buff.

|Pages: 228|Published: Oct. 2009|Publisher: Dundurn Press|

|Genre: Historical fiction, sports, 1900s, orphans|

|Age Group: YA, ages 12+|Content: None|


|Enjoyed It: 3/5|Content Rating: 5/5|Cover: 4/5| (NEW!)

|Overall Rating|


Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails