Saturday, May 23, 2009

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Seventeen year old Mia has choices to make. Go to Julliard to continue her music career or stay in Oregon with her boyfriend. When Mia's family takes a drive one icy day to he grandparent's house, everything Mia has ever wished or dreamed for is slipping away. Now there's only choice left: to stay or go?

*******

This book was very touching and sad, but I liked reading Mia's story nonetheless. It made me teary just to imagine what it would be like to see my parents dead or even be in a accident period. At first I didn't really like the idea of Mia being in an "out of body experience" so to speak, but then again what really happens when you are in a coma? Most of the book switched back and forth between present time and Mia thinking back about all the things leading up to this event.
If I Stay placed you in Mia's shoes and made you think about what your family and friends would be doing if you had only one choice. Mia's character was carefully written, but she sometimes seemed more mature than her parents which was kinda odd for me. (It has to be all that classical music.)
Overall If I Stay was a heartfelt story of love, choices, and above all, family.


Gayle Forman is the author of Sisters in Sanity and Can't Get Here From There. You can visit her website and blog here or If I Stay's book trailer at ifistay.com 



Pages: 196   Year Published: April 2009    Genre: Realistic/Contemporary, Tragedy
Age Group: YA, ages 13+   Content: A few sexual references and graphicness 
Rating: 4/5 BLTs   Reviewer Enjoyment: 4/5 BLTS
                                                           Rating:




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails