Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Lady Macbeth's Daughter by Lisa Klein












Albia has grown up with no knowledge of her father, the powerful thane Macbeth, and her mother, the grief-wracked Grelach. Instead she knows the dark lure of the Wychelm Wood and the moors, where she’s been raised by three strange sisters. The ambitious Macbeth seeks to know his fate,and Albia’s life becomes tangled with that of the man who leaves in his wake nothing but bloodshed. When Albia learns that she has the second sight, she must decide whether to ignore the terrible future she foresees—or to change it.
 With only the shepherd Colum to aid her, Albia sets out on a journey fraught with peril. Will she be able to save the man she loves from her murderous father? Can she forgive her parents their wrongs, or must she destroy them? 


My first Klein book was Two Girls of Gettysburg. The end was breathtaking. Lady MacBeth's Daughter? An absolute masterpiece. I think Shakespeare would be happy to know that Macbeth is being enjoyed by teens once again. Filled with emotion and a exciting dramatic climax, Klein has done it again with this historical and mythical tale of Scotland's murderous king. Aliba, our heroine, is faced with a series of difficult choices; with every decision, the plot takes a another nail-biting turn. I love historical fiction because you always get a little something out of it, if not a lot. You get to wander through a past time period and enjoy an adventure. I usually like historical fiction--even if it is a bit slow at times--but that's just me. For those who like to be kept on the edge of your seat, well good news! Albia doesn't wait for adventure to happen, she finds it! Even hesitant readers might want to take a look at this book!


Overall I think Lady Macbeth's Daughter is a thrilling novel dripping with romance and adventure and a surprising twist. I have not yet read Shakespeare's Macbeth, but this book is sure to help me through it or better yet, help bring it to life. 





|Pages: 304|Year Published: Oct. 2009|Publisher: Bloomsbury USA|
|Genre: Historical fiction, teen romance, Medieval Ages|
|Age Group: YA, ages 14+|
|Content: Sensuality; not recommend for anyone under 13 (PG-13)|
|Enjoyed It: 5/5|Content Rating: 3/5|Cover: 5/5|
|Overall|



Photobucket

4 comments:

Nina said...

This book sounds very good. A good book for teens to get to know Shakespear! :)

Unknown said...

Wow, five burgers. This must be good. I love the premise and your review makes the book sound so dramatic!

Natalie said...

Awesome! I really want to read this one. I haven't read Two Girls of Gettysburg, but that one's also on my TBR list. I'd highly recommend reading Ophelia by Lisa Klein as well. It's a retelling of Hamlet, and if I'm right, I think it was her debut novel. I bought it and loved it. Glad you liked this one! :)

Unknown said...

Wonderful review. Now I really want to read this! I love historical fiction, so this sounds like my kind of book.

Related Posts with Thumbnails