Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Geek Magnet by Kieran Scott

KJ Miller is a geek magnet. And to prove it, she's got not one, not two, but three geeks following her every move. Sure they bother her, especially Glenn with his constant rude remarks, but deep inside KJ just can't be mean. Or can she? When KJ unexpectedly befriends high school starlit, Tama Gold, she suddenly finds herself in the "in" crowd; but hanging with the populars comes with a price. Ditch the geeks or never hook the high school football Cameron Richardson. With her homelife and friendships fraying, and the Grease production on the brink of disaster, is KJ really ready to kiss her greekdom friends goodbye?
This charming story about one girl's quest for love, life, and forgiveness is sure to bring out the "geek" in everyone.

***********

There I was scouring the "New Releases" shelf at the library when I bright pink cover caught my eye. [Ooooo shiny!]
When I pulled it out, to my surprise it was Geek Magnet (and also to my surprise the geeky guy on the cover looked an awfully lot like a certain person I know-spooky). 
From the beginning of the book I knew I would rate it 4 BLTs. The characters were funny, KJ's emotions were very relatable-especially her homelife problems-and the the chapters were set up in scenes like a production. Speaking of productions, amidst KJ's problems she was also the stage manager for Grease, which was a great addition to the book. Though the end was fairly predictable, Geek Magnet did manage to keep me on the edge of my seat. KJ kept making wrong turns and creating the perfect mess. I was mad along with her, frustrated with her, happy with her, knew what she was going through-what a great relatable character KJ is, huh?
TINY SPOILER........
 I can also that Tama Gold just burns my toast! Boy what a brat, and thankgoodness KJ turned out to be a smart girl after all. The best part about Geek Magnet was forgiveness and that being "popular" is not important.
Okay, now I can truthfully say I Am a Geek. After all, we ARE the smart ones.......

Kieran Scott is also the author of I Was a Non-Blonde Cheerleader, A Non-Blonde Cheerleader in Love, and Brunette's Strike Back.

Pages: 308    Year Published: 2008    Level: YA, ages 13+
Fiction: Realistic/Contemporary, Comedy, Romance
This Book is For: Teen girls   Recommend? Yes    Buy or Borrow: Borrow
4 BLTs For: Mild crude humor, family violence, references to teen drinking, and mild language. 

     Rating & Reviewer Enjoyment:



4 comments:

Genevieve said...

I love the cover of this book. And also, I like your blog's new layout... very cute.

GirlwiththeBraids said...

I think girls in middle school would enjoy this book, maybe 12 and up. I have not read this book myself but it sounds great! :)

Laina said...

I don't like "ages for" because I was always way above the average reading level for my age group, so... just some perspective, I hope. :)

Laina said...

Um, do you have comment moderation turned on or did mine not go through at all? Because if it didn't, I'd be highly annoyed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails