Monday, February 23, 2009

The Luxe by Anna Godbergson


From the book jacket:


From the book jacket:

Elizabeth and Diana Holland rule Manhattan's social scene. But when the girls discover their family's status is far from secure, suddenly everyone is a threat to their golden future. Set in a world of luxury and deception, this thrilling trip to the age of innocence is anything but innocent.




Where do I start?

First of all this book was stupid. I mean who would want to read about some rich snobs gossiping, creating scandals, and ruining their lives?!

The plot sounds like something out of a Desperate Housewives episode (not that I watch that show) and how could anyone like the characters? They're silly and fake and just so you know, the average person living in 1899 would not be involved in scandals like these girls; or if they were, they would go to the grave without telling a soul. I got halfway through the book and just couldn't finish it.

The only thing that I found that I liked was the detailed descriptions of the balls and the mansions. Other than that, it was a waste of paper and a good cover picture. My view of historical fiction is that it should be exciting, enjoyable, and you actually get something out of the book, like say a bit of history? There are tons of books out there that are worth your while, but The Luxe isn't one of them-no matter what your friends say or the media says.



Rating          

Reviewer Enjoyment:

Pages: 388       Year Published: 2007      Level: YA (16+)    

Fiction: Historical       Time Period: Early 1900s/Victorian Era    

Should I Waist My Eyes on This? No              




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails